Sunday, June 2, 2013

Tiny Dancer


Today was an incredible day. Today my two year old got up on a huge stage and DANCED. For the entire song, and it was obvious that she knew the dance they’ve been working on for months. Sophie did her turns, her arabesque, her plies, shook her bottom, waved her streamers, and smiled with pure joy while performing. It was amazing. Her dancing was so pure. Kali, her teacher, told me she danced like an angel today. Her grandmother and I cried, her grandfather laughed in amazement, and her daddy sat openmouthed staring at her on stage in disbelief. Why such amazement? Because yesterday during dress rehearsal she stood onstage and sobbed uncontrollably, and had to be carried off stage by Kali. Sophie was upset the entire rest of the day, clinging to me throughout. She was visible shaken. So what 
happened today is truly a dance recital miracle. Watching my daughter dance with such joy and abandon after what happened yesterday was one of the proudest moments of motherhood thus far. She is the youngest dancer in the company, and Sophie did more of the dance than several of the girls who are almost a year older. But all of the girls did well, and it was wonderful to watch 
these sweet girls who I've come to know so well perform so beautifully today.

I am looking forward to many more years of dance recitals, but this first one will definitely hold a special place in our hearts. 




"I hope you never lose your sense of wonder,
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger,
May you never take one single breath for granted,
GOD forbid love ever leave you empty handed,
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean,
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens,
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance,
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance."

"I hope you dance....I hope you dance."
Leann Womack

No comments:

Post a Comment