Thursday, March 21, 2013

Spring Breakers

Spring Break 2013 was a smashing success. If you'd told me 15 years ago that one day I would be excited to spend Spring Break in Houston with, gasp, my parents, I would have thought you were crazy. Thankfully, we stupid teenagers grow into smart adults who have finally learned to appreciate our parents! Sophie and I did our first solo road trip, with Hunter as our co pilot. She was so good in the car. We only stopped once for a diaper change, dog walk, and for me to put a new Mickey Mouse Clubhouse DVD in the laptop. Sophie never cried and was happy the entire trip, which we made in less than 4 hours.
Riding the train at Hermann Park
Grammy & Sophie

Sitting in a real tractor with Aunt Britt
Tuesday, Sophie, Grammy, and I met my friend Gina and her two boys at the Houston Zoo. Gina and I have been friends since junior high, and it is always such fun to spend time with her and her sweet boys, Matthew and Collin. Who are the sweetest and best behaved boys I've seen! The zoo was fun, and the best part was taking Sophie on the famous train at Hermann Park. There has been a train at Hermann since my mom was a girl, and I remember riding the train frequently as a child. It was so special for my mom and I to take Sophie on the train that we both rode as children. She loved it, and has been saying "choo choo" ever since. Tuesday evening we left to visit Grandma and Grampa Miller. My mother in law designed an adorable nursery for Sophie and her cousin Caroline, and spent so much time picking out wonderful toys. Sophie's face lit up when she saw the room and all the toys. We had dinner at Houston Country Club, and Sophie discovered the great playground at HCC,which she would play on four times during our 7 day visit. We spent Wednesday morning at the Children's Museum followed by a great lunch at Hungry's, one of my favorite Houston lunch spots. The best part was seeing Sophie bond with her grandparents, and I'm pretty sure they had as much fun with her as she did with them. I had a much needed facial during nap and then we went back to my parents to get ready for our big Thursday at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.......

Driving cars with Ella


Abby, me, and our girls
Our first strawberry ice cream

If you've never been to the HLSR, you are missing out. It's a first class operation, with thousands of volunteers. We took Sophie to the petting zoo, and she and her BFF Ella rode the only three rides they're tall enough to ride at the carnival. The tractors were their personal faves. Sophie tried her first Fletcher's Corny Dog, a cinnamon roll, two chocolate chip cookies, and strawberry ice cream. She loved every second! The best part was getting to spend time with my friend Abby, and her daughter Ella. Abby & I were pregnant at the same time so we refer to our girls as "in utero BFFs". My sister took a day off from work in order to go with us, and it was fantastic being with her as well.  Friday we did a picnic at Hermann Park, and Sophie rode the train again. My dad was able to spend time with Sophie Saturday morning with a visit to the park and Sophie's favorite restaurant, Chick Fil A. Then we met Dad at the Miller's, followed by the Sunday morning baptism of our niece Caroline. 

Aunt Ashley & Grandma Miller with Caroline at her Baptism


Too much Spring Break


We had a great week, and it was wonderful spending time with both families. Sophie is so lucky to have two sets of grandparents who are healthy and love her so much. It was the perfect family Spring Break!


Movie Star

No comments:

Post a Comment